Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Sacrifices

I will the skip the "Finally, my blog is up..." part and just go ahead with what I really want share.
_______________________


For days now, I have been reflecting a lot on what has changed with me over the past three years. You see, my daughter is now three. And to say that she has changed my life is somehow a bit of an understatement. Allow me to break that statement down for you.

I used to be an always-on-the-run kind of lady. I played the keyboards at church (sometimes from sunrise to sundown). I handled the youth group. I danced. I directed plays and musicals. I ran. I could do a TV marathon until the morning. I hosted weddings. I organized events. And a few more perhaps that I can no longer remember.

Then Zoe happened. I started working from home. I had to give up all those things I listed above sans the youth group. My days toss between Zoe and work and Zoe and the kitchen and then Zoe again and the garden, etc. While I am overjoyed by motherhood along with the fulfillment it brings every day, I also miss the things I used to do. I have learned that the secret to a blessed life is doing things in their proper season. Motherhood has become me. My time now has to be devoted into nurturing my child. To teaching her. To training her. So,as much as I long to do all those things again, I remind myself over and over that balancing my priorities should be more important than my whims and wants.

As my father told me, these are but small sacrifices compared to the ministry of parenting. That in time, these will mean nothing compared to the joy of seeing the kind of child my husband and I have raised.

Mornings with Zoe
So I end this entry with an encouragement from Ecclesiastes 3:1-8.

A Time for Everything
1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: 2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, 3 a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, 6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, 7 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, 8 a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment